Create a Delicious Tortilla Soup
Yes, These Simple Worry-free Steps, Helped Me Create a Delicious Tortilla Soup and They Will Work for YOU Too.
Tortilla soup is a classic and there are as many variations as there are easy Mexican appetizer recipes. The whim of the cook is what controls the ingredients of a great tortilla soup.
Use the list below as a guide and then allow your creative desires and taste to enhance the soup to your personal taste.
This tasty soup is a liquid version – Aguada – to be served as an appetizer or light meal.
It is very easy and quick to prepare. Make it a day or two in advance and fry the tortilla strips as it reheats.
Sometimes tortilla soups contain shredded chicken or turkey. What a great way to use any leftover chicken or turkey. Simply shred about a cup of cooked chicken or turkey and stir into the soup the same time you add the carrot.
Either way with or without this is a delicious tortilla soup.
- 8 Corn tortillas, Cut into strips
- 2 quarts chicken stock or broth
- 2 Ancho chilies, seeded and veins removed
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled (Mexican oregano preferred)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt, or salt to your taste
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 large avocado, peeled and diced
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, grated
- 2 Limes, quartered
- Soak the ancho chile in hot water for about 20 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife cut each tortilla into 4 or five strips and set aside. Pour vegetable oil to a depth of ¾ inch in a heavy frying pan. Heat on medium-high heat until a small piece of tortilla, added in the oil, will float on top and bubble at the edges.
- Add a few tortilla strips to the hot oil and fry for a few minutes, until crisp and golden brown all over, turning occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a double layer of paper towels.
- Cook the remaining tortilla strips and set aside for later use.
- Remove the ancho chile from the water, seed and remove the veins. Puree the soaked chile and tomatoes in a blender. Reserve in the blender.
- In a large, pot heat the oil on medium-high and fry the onion until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, cumin and the chile tomato puree. Cook on medium heat, stirring till the mixture thickens about 5 more minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, carrots and salt.
- Note: Add the shredded cooked chicken now if you are going to use it.
- Bring the tortilla soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the carrot is tender.
- To serve, divide the tortilla strips among your favorite soup bowls. Ladle the hot soup over the tortilla strips. Sprinkle with cilantro. Pass the avocado, cheese and lime wedges separately for each person to add to the table.
- It makes about eight servings.
Chopping Cilantro the Easy Way
An easy way to chop cilantro is to put the cilantro leaves in a coffee mug and snip with a pair of kitchen scissors. Hold the scissors vertically with both hands work the blades back and forth until the cilantro is finely chopped.
Uncinching your belt a notch or two is guaranteed with the Tastiest, Temptiest Tortilla Soup …
Extra Napkins is a must!