Tomato Salsa Recipe, Fresh and Tasty
A fresh and tasty tomato salsa recipe is a must for all of your favorite Mexican recipes, but did you know how easy it is to make at home? If you are lucky enough to have access to a home garden, you have the first step accomplished.
If not, you can always take a trip to the local farmers market or produce stand and acquire some fresh, juicy tomatoes to make your own salsa right at home.
Salsa is a condiment which has far surpassed ketchup in the United States and because of the many different recipes and combinations of flavors, spices and ingredients, the possibilities are limitless as to what types can be concocted.
Salsa goes perfectly with tacos and fish dishes, but did you know it is also wonderful with steak, chicken and pork?
Using a bit of ingenuity and imagination, you can find the right mix of spices and ingredients and come up with your very own version to compliment your favorite meals.
Tasty Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe
Grab these ingredients:
- 2-4 medium sized fresh tomatoes (about 1-1 ½ pounds), washed, stems removed and diced finely
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper (stems, ribs and seeds removed) diced finely
- 1 Serrano chili pepper (stem, seeds and ribs removed) diced finely
- ½ cup of red or white onion, diced finely
- Juice of one whole fresh lime or lemon
- ½ cup of freshly chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
You may also add cumin and oregano to kick it up and give it more flavor.
- Begin with chopping up the tomatoes and chilies. Since the chilies are hot, it is necessary to protect your hands and fingers, so use gloves and avoid touching your eyes, nose or face until you have completely washed your hands with soap and water to remove any oil and residue.
- Set aside some of the seeds from the peppers to add to the salsa if you’d like it to be more hot.
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and taste, if it is too hot, add more tomatoes, if not add some more chilies and a few of the seeds to kick it up a notch.
- Let the salsa sit for a few hours to combine and wake up the flavors and when ready, serve with tortilla chips, tacos, Tostados, pinto or black beans, burritos, or any other Mexican dish.
Salsa The Perfect Complement
To Wake Up Any Type Of Food
Salsa is the perfect complement to wake up any type of food and when you are planning a Mexican-themed party, it goes over well and pleases the crowd.
A good idea is to make several variations of this tomato salsa recipe and you can even add some fruit such as mangoes, pineapple, or peaches to give it a unique flavor.
Salsa the Versatile Condiment
Salsa is a versatile condiment and people love it with Mexican dishes, vegetables, crackers and many other foods.
Check into the various different recipes available for tomato salsa and use your own combination of ingredients for a special spin.
Salsa the Perfect Pairing for a Spicy Side Dish
When you are seeking the perfect pairing for a zesty Mexican side dish, remember, you can never go wrong with salsa!