Homemade Fresh Salsa Recipe
Roma tomatoes are paste tomatoes and have firmer flesh and produce thicker fresh salsas than do large slicing tomatoes.
Slicing tomatoes usually yield a thinner, more watery salsa.
Poor quality or overripe tomatoes will yield a very poor salsa.
This homemade salsa recipe can be made with either fresh or canned tomatoes, but if you’re using fresh, make sure they are sweet, ripe, in-season tomatoes. If not you can certainly use canned diced tomatoes just be sure to drain the juice from the canned tomatoes.
- 6 tomatoes, preferably Roma (or 3 large tomatoes)
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp cilantro, chopped to taste fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp oregano, finely crushed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 avocado, diced (black skin)
- Combine all ingredients in glass bowl.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve within 4–5 hours.
- Fresh herbs add plenty of flavor to this salsa, so you use less salt.
Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa – Making and canning the best garden fresh salsa.