Classic Mexican Flan Recipe
You will delight in this rich and wonderful flan recipe which makes a beautiful crème caramel dessert with the typical flavoring of vanilla. Do not limit yourself to vanilla, flan is a varied as salsa with popular flavors of pumpkin, lime, maple, caramel, chocolate, Kahlua and even garlic.
Enjoy the perfect flan with a little brittle quality, that reveals the most luscious and velvety texture.
Normally baked in a water bath, bain marie and turned out of it’s mold onto a plate for serving. This very popular dessert is easy and delicious. Your family and guest will rave
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Milk
- 3 Large Egg yolks
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 14 Ounce Sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Almond extract
- In a small saucepan melt sugar over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is a dark, caramel-colored liquid. Remove from heat and pour into a 4 cup metal ring mold or 8 individual molds. Quickly turn flan ring to coat bottom and sides with the caramel. Let cool so caramel hardens.
- Heat oven to 325F.
- Put the condensed milk, milk, eggs, egg yolks and flavorings into an electric blender. Cover and blend to mix well. Pour mixture into mold; put flan ring in a larger pan filled with water to depth of 1/2". Bake for 1 hour. Remove from oven and remove mold from water.
- Note: It is customary to make flan in a special pan or flan ring over a bain marie. Place the custard pan into the larger baking dish. Now fill the outer baking dish with enough water to come up about an inch around the outside of the custard pan.
- Allow the flan to come to room temperature. Run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen. Place a serving plate that's slightly larger than the flan mold on top of the mold and flip upside down. Gently remove the the mold and cut the flan into wedges to serve.
- Note: The custard should just pop right on to the plate with the luscious carmel topping dripping down the edges.
A flan ring is a round pan with a removable base, for cooking a flan or quiche.