Enchanting Chicken Enchiladas
The secret to this wonderful enchiladas recipe is the Salsa de Tomatillos, it is very easy to make and will enhance all of your Mexican food recipes.
You can use it with Chicken Enchiladas, tacos and burritos for an authentic Mexican food taste delight.
The recipe to this savory sauce can be found at:
Sharp Tasting Flavors of the Tomatillos are Delightful.
- 2 – 2 ¼ lb chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 – 3 celery stalks cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion quartered
- Salt and Pepper Filling:
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 Anaheim green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced
- Chicken Stock
- 16 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 – 1 ½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Black Olives, chopped
- NOTE: A rotisserie cooked chicken from your local market may be substituted. It will save you time and is also delicious.
- Place the chicken in a large pot and cover with water. Add celery, onion, salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender, approximately 40 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the broth and set aside to cool. Strain the broth and reserve for later use.
- Filling directions:
- Combine peppers, onions, tomatoes and cook in a large skillet. Place over medium heat and cook until soft, stirring constantly and moistening with the reserved chicken broth if necessary.
- Remove meat from the cooled chicken and shred to bite size pieces. Add Chicken to the filling mixture and cook for about 6- 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble the enchiladas.
- Preheat the oven to 250 F. Lightly oil skillet and fry tortillas until soft, about 10 -20 seconds on each side.
- Roll each tortilla gently in a paper towel to remove excess oil and to keep pliable. Remove from paper towel and place about ½ cup of the filling in each tortilla, roll up and place seem side down in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch backing dish.
- Top with grated cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes, until heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, warm the Salsa de Tomatillos in a sauce pan, cover the enchiladas with the heated salsa, top with sour cream and chopped black olives.
- Makes 8 servings
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde – Green Sauce
Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe with tomatillo green sauce – salsa verde, crema and shredded Mexican manchego cheese. Thanks to Jauja Cocina Mexicana sharing the ingredients, tips and step-by-step directions for cooking this traditional Mexican food specialty.