$25,000 Winning Chili Recipe
by Chef Karn Meats
Every year California’s International Chili Society (ICS) sanctions chili cook offs all over the world to raise money for charities. The ICS has thousands of members, called Chiliheads around the globe that cook in and judge the chili contests.
“Our sole purpose is to promote, develop and improve the preparation and appreciation of true chili and determine each year the World’s Champion Chili through officially sanctioned and regulated competitive cookoffs. This association shall further the comraderie of chiliheads on behalf of charitable non-profit organizations in the world.” — ICS
Although the final tally is not in yet for 2007, during the 2006 year of chili cooking, the ICS cookoffs raised over $1,025,837.00 for various charities. The World Red Chili Champion for 2007, Jerry Buma, won $25,000 for his sensational chili. Here is his winning recipe:
- 3 lb tri tip
- 1 med onion minced
- 1 sm can green chiles
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1½ tsp Tabasco
- 1 8 oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce
- Note List below, blend together the following:
- 2 tbsp mexico hot powder
- 2 tbsp mexico mild powder
- 2 tbsp california hot powder
- 2 tbsp california mild powder
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp msg
- 1 tsp mexican oregano
- Blend together the following - 2 tbsp mexico hot powder ;2 tbsp mexico mild powder ;2 tbsp california hot powder ;2 tbsp california mild powder ;3 tbsp cumin ;1 tsp black pepper ;2 tsp salt ;1 tsp sugar ;2 tsp msg ;1 tsp mexican oregano
- Brown meat in small batches; return to pot with veggies, chicken broth, and half the spice mix.
- Simmer 2 hrs.
- Add remaining spice mix and cook for 1 hr. adding liquid if necessary.
- Adjust seasonings to personal taste last 15 min.
Chef Karn is the champion chili taster for Karn Meats quality control division.
Chef Karn Meats may be contacted at http://www.strongbusinesscredit.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Leg Up Chili
Lil Doggy is letting the cat out of the bag. Since I’m retiring from chili cookoffs, he decided to share his recipe for Leg Up Chili.