Awesome Picante Chile Salsa
You may use green tomatoes in this recipe instead of tomatillos. Green tomatoes will have a more tart flavor and be more acidic.
- 10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
- 6 cups seeded, chopped chili peppers*
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving ½-inch head space. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner: 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude, 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet.
- Yield: 6 to 8 pints
- *Use mixture of mild and hot peppers.
Source: Reprinted with permission from the University of Georgia. Andress, E. (2001). USDA’s Complete Guide to Home Canning. Athens, GA: University of Georgia, Cooperative Extension Service.