Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting fresh peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 2 pounds chile peppers
- 1 pound onions
- 1 cup vinegar (5 percent)
- 3 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Wash and rinse canning jars; keep hot until ready to use.
- Prepare lids according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Preparing Peppers:
- Wash and dry chiles; slit each pepper along the side to allow steam to escape.
- Peel using one of these two methods to blister skins:
- Oven or broiler method to blister skins – Place chiles in a hot oven (400°F) or broiler for 6 to 8 minutes until skins blister.
- Range-top method to blister skins – Cover hot burner (either gas or electric) with heavy wire mesh. Place peppers on burner for several minutes until skins blister.
- To peel, after blistering skins, place peppers in a pan and cover with a damp cloth. (This will make peeling the peppers easier.) Cool several minutes; slip off skins. Discard seeds and chop.
- Peel, wash and dice onions. Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Dip in cold water, slip off skins, and remove cores. Coarsely chop tomatoes.
- Hot Pack: Combine prepared peppers, onions and tomatoes and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to boiling; then simmer 10 minutes. Fill hot jars, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened, clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids.
- Process in a boiling water canner according to the recommendations below.
Recommended process time for Chile Salsa in a boiling water canner at different elevations above sea-level.
Hot Pack Pint size jars:
0-1000 ft Elevation
1001-6000 ft Elevation
Above 6000 ft
The only changes you can safely make in this salsa recipe are to substitute bottled lemon juice for the vinegar and to change the amount of pepper and salt. Do not alter the proportions of vegetables to acid and tomatoes because it might make the salsa unsafe.